Welcome to Finn and Fern Waldorf Inspired Dolls, where dolls are created with the finest materials and careful attention to detail.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Growing


As dollmakers, we all grow on our own in our craft.  It's interesting because we all choose to grow and learn in different ways.  I remember a few months back seeing Maureen Broeder posting pictures of the feet she was prototyping.  I've seen Maria Asenova's faces evolve ever so beautifully.  It's just a natural progression...this growing and changing.  We all feel it in our work, I'm sure.  So when the trend towards sculpting took off, of course, I wanted to learn more.  Now, I love my dolls.  I often sigh when I finish one.  It's like this magical thing you hold in your hands...this soul that you have created.  

Somehow, though...whenever I've tried to sculpt a face, it doesn't quite work the way I want it to.  I've gotten good at needlefelting cheeks and chins, but those lips, they've ever evaded me!  It's been frustrating for sure.  I get this image in my head, a little face, that still holds much of the traditional lines, but with a more defined mouth.  I'd try my hand at it, and fail!  Some of them looked great before I pulled the skins on, and then the skin just changes everything!

But I kept at it.  I tried a variety of things.  I'd have these strings sticking out the backs of their heads, thinking about anatomy and physiology.  Where do the smile muscles pull?  What happens when you tighten this one? No no...that's more frowny... and of course, the ever frustrating strings that break!  It just wasn't right, and I'd succumb and defer to a more traditional smile.  

With this girl, that wasn't to be.  I actually sewed her head to her body, decided I didn't it, beheaded her, and took her whole head skin off.  Something was off, and I was going to fix it!  I took out more wool and my felting needles, and sat, for hours, to make her the doll I set out to make.  Then, she was born.

I look at her and sigh.  She is the girl I set out to make.  She's coming to life just as I imagined her.  And I feel successful in my efforts.  I only hope I can do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment