Welcome to Finn and Fern Waldorf Inspired Dolls, where dolls are created with the finest materials and careful attention to detail.

Monday, June 30, 2014

A Word About Customs




As many of you know, when my daughter was born, I quit my job to stay home and care for my little ones.  This was never my original intention, but God had other plans for me.  Life comes at you, and you just do it.  It’s not a bad thing.  I feel very blessed to be able to be there for my littles in ways that I never imagined.  On the flipside, it was also quite a shock to permanently jump from two decent salaries to one.  My husband and I teetered along for a while, and things were ok.  We were using some of our savings and after all, that’s what you have it for, isn’t it?  Life! 

When I officially gave up my teaching position for good, we knew we couldn’t keep using our savings to help ends meet.  I would have to do something.  I could work part time at some retail job or a restaurant, I could tutor, or I could do something I really love.  I could make dolls. 

In the past, I’ve used sewing to help makes ends meet, so the transition just seemed to come naturally.  I could use nap time to sew, and work late into the night after the littles went to bed.  It’s worked quite well for us.  It’s a job, none the less.  It’s a job that I love.

As a dollmaker, we are ever evolving.  I learn new skills, I apply them to my dolls.  My constant goal is to always make them better – for you! 

The custom game is an interesting one.  There is no set guidelines for how other makers do it.  Some people don’t do customs at all.  Some have “wish lists”.  Some only offer a few customs a year.  I feel like customs afford me the ability to grow exponentially.  They are challenging.  It’s good for a maker! 

We make our own rules – how we’d like to do them.  Some people take deposits.  I’ve never been comfortable taking a deposit.  I’ve never had any issues.  Another maker recently said that she also does not take deposits, because sometimes the time frame takes longer than you originally plan, and in the end, the buyer always has the option to opt out.  I felt content in my decision not to take a deposit. As I said, there are no set rules.

That said, as we work cooperatively, I will do everything in my power to make you happy in your custom.  If you aren’t happy, I hope that you will be professional enough to express your discontent somewhere along the way so that we can make things right.  The last thing I want is for the wrong doll to end up in your hands, and then you feel as if you made a mistake.  No good can come out of that. 


I’ve been here in this little space making dolls for two years.  My dolls have changed along with me as I’ve grown.  I can also tell you that many of the amazing people I’ve had the pleasure of doing business with have come back again and again.  It’s a sign that I’m doing something right, even if I’m not the best advertiser.  I hope that as I continue to make dolls and offer customs, however I decide to do it, that you’ll bend and grow with me as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment