Welcome to Finn and Fern Waldorf Inspired Dolls, where dolls are created with the finest materials and careful attention to detail.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What's missing and where are we going?


I've been making dolls for over a year and a half now.  Who knew I'd come this far?  I've been feverishly working on customs for the holidays.  Just the thought that little girls and boys will be waking up to handmade goodness under the tree this year warms my heart.  I vividly remember coming back from Christmas break in Kindergarten and my friend Meghan had the most amazing handmade doll.  I wanted it more than anything in the whole wide world, but her aunt had made it.  It was one of a kind, not to be found in any store.  Perhaps that's where the very core of my dollmaking started.  It was deep in my soul.


So with all dolls, comes change.  Each one is unique.  Each one a little better than the last.  Each one shows something I've learned.  Even though I've sewn for as long as I can remember, taking on the task of making dolls had a learning curve.  They are all skillfully made.  Secrets are guarded amongst dollmakers strongly.  Much of it is trial and error.


I've fallen in love with my dolls.  Each one makes me sigh.  Sometimes, they need to hang out with me for weeks before being sent off into the world.  Sometimes, it's hard to let go.  But I also look at each one and wonder, what can I do better on the next one?  So as I've worked on these recent customs that I've been making, I've been thinking about how to make them even better as I go on, what little details I think are missing, what needs to be added...and I hope you'll join me on this ride!

2 comments:

  1. What a great little story! Im just loving all your dollys! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so amazing that you can translate your inner creativity into such heartwarming dolls. Every time I see the doll you have made for me, she makes me smile, and each time I wish I could create something as expressive. You are very talented at what you do, and I for one, can't wait to see where your creative journey takes you.

    ReplyDelete